Referral rewards for drivers
In most regions, the referring driver is eligible for a bonus when they refer another driver to drive with Lyft. The referred applicant is generally eligible for Guaranteed Earnings (not a bonus) unless otherwise specified.
If you apply using another Lyft driver's referral code, read the terms and conditions below, and Lyft's Referral Program Rules. For general questions about driver pay, see Lyft Driver Pay.
Referring driver requirements
The be eligible for a referral bonus, referring drivers must:
- Be an existing Lyft driver in good standing when referred applicant qualifies
- Share their driver referral code with the referred applicant
Bonus amounts and ride requirements may change based on the referring driver, the referred applicant, and the region of the referred applicant. Requirements in a city or region may be different for drivers or applicants in the same area.
Referring drivers can view the bonus requirements for applicants they refer in their market through the Driver Dashboard or app.
Referred applicants may receive a communication from a referring driver regarding bonus requirements. Please note that Lyft can’t control the final content of these communications and can’t be held liable for any inaccuracies that they may contain.
Once a referred applicant has started their application, Lyft will email a confirmation to both the referring driver and referred applicant. The confirmation email will contain relevant bonus amounts, ride requirements, and time limits. Please contact us for details about your application.
Referred applicant requirements
To be eligible for an available referral promotion, referred applicants must:
- Start a driver application in the app or at Drive with Lyft, then agree to the Lyft terms and choose 'Become a Driver.' Bonus amounts and requirements may change until this step is done
- Enter the referring driver’s referral code in the ‘Promo/Referral code’ field on the first step of the application
- If you follow a referral link from your referring driver, the code should be automatically entered
- If you don't enter a code when starting your application, you won’t be eligible for this referral promotion
- Be approved to drive within 30 days of starting an application
- Complete the specified number of rides in the required timeframe from being approved to drive. No more than two rides with the same passenger count toward ride requirements
- Participation in this promotion is subject to Lyft's Terms of Service
- Driver eligibility and approval is determined at the sole discretion of Lyft and isn't guaranteed
- The duration of the review process may vary
- This promotion runs for a limited time only. Terms and bonus amounts (if any) are subject to change
- Referral bonus promotions cannot be combined with Earnings Guarantee promos or new driver sign-on promos
- The bonus amount (if any) may vary based on the referring driver and the region of the referred applicant. There's no guarantee that all referring drivers or referred applicants in the same region will receive the same bonus amounts or ride requirements
- If a referred applicant has an existing application, they’re only eligible for the referral amount, if any, associated with that original application. They aren’t eligible for any other referral amount. This prior referral promotion may have expired, in which case the applicant won’t be eligible for a referral bonus
- Cross-country referrals (for example, a driver in Canada being referred by driver in US) are ineligible
- In Canada, passengers can only refer other passengers and drivers can only refer other driver to receive a bonus
- We may share information concerning a referred applicant's eligibility, progress, or qualification for a referral bonus with the referring driver
- Drivers cannot earn referral bonuses for referring themselves
Earnings Guarantees for referred applicants
If you’re eligible for a guarantee, we'll email you with the amount and details. You'll be able to see your ride requirements and track your progress from the 'Earnings' tab in the Lyft Driver app.
How do Earnings Guarantees work?
- Give a certain amount of rides within a certain window of time (specified in emails and your Driver app) in the approved location and you’re guaranteed to make a fixed amount.
- If you don’t earn the amount of the Earnings Guarantee from driving, we’ll pay you the difference, so you’re still guaranteed to make that total amount.
- Earnings Guarantees are not a bonus.
Note: Each requesting passenger in a Shared ride counts toward your total number of rides for the week.
Calculating the guaranteed amount
All eligible earnings are totaled at the end of each Lyft week, which starts on Mondays at 5 AM and ends the next Monday at 4:59 AM.
Eligible earnings include the total payments for each ride, including per-ride bonuses. Other earnings such as tips, tolls, other Lyft bonuses, airport fees, and the Lyft Platform Fee and Service Fee aren’t included.
Receiving the guarantee
If the total eligible earnings for that pay period equal or exceed the guaranteed amount, congrats! You’ve earned the guaranteed amount.
If the total eligible earnings aren’t equal or more than the guaranteed amount, we'll bonus you the difference. The difference will be listed as a line item in your Weekly Summary and won't be included in any of your daily summaries.
Please note that the following terms apply, and are subject to change:
- Earnings guarantees are based on your take home ride earnings (not including tips, tolls, other Lyft bonuses or fees)
- Eligible drivers cannot also receive a new driver bonus. Only one code can be applied upon applying to drive with Lyft
- This promotion runs for a limited time only and may be suspended or ended at any time at Lyft’s discretion. The amount of the guarantee varies by market and time of application and may be changed at Lyft's discretion
- No more than two rides given to the same passenger count toward your ride requirements