How to prevent poor location tracking
As a driver, you need turn-by-turn directions, and your passengers need to know where you are. The app sends location info to our servers, which helps us measure the distance and time you've driven. It also calculates your ride costs and earnings.
To accurately track rides, we need location updates from your GPS while you're driving. Here’s how to make that happen.
Regardless of your device, there are several things you can do to fix poor location tracking. Use the following tips to improve GPS accuracy:
- Plug your phone in: Devices attempt to conserve battery when they're not charging. For some devices, running on battery alone may mean location tracking is poor. Always keep your phone plugged in, even when fully charged.
- Turn on wifi and Bluetooth: All devices use wifi and Bluetooth signals to locate your device. Turn both wifi and 'Ask to Join Networks' on.
- Use a phone mount: Location tracking works best when your phone has access through a window. If your phone is in your center console or pocket, you may experience poor location tracking. We recommend mounting your device on the windshield or dashboard using a mount.
- Close unused apps: Close any unused apps, including those that use your location.
- Keep your software and app current: Update to the latest phone software available. Apple and Android devices will release updates that may improve your phone’s location accuracy.
- Buy a new phone: To get the most accurate GPS, we recommend upgrading to the newest phone model if you can. Older phones may have outdated GPS antennae, which can cause poor location tracking.
- Don’t talk and drive: Avoid making phone calls on your Lyft-enabled device during a ride. Some networks don't allow data usage and phone usage at the same time.
- Start and stop safely: Only start or stop your rides in the app when your car is completely stopped. Stopping completely helps us track your location more accurately.
- Wait a bit: GPS accuracy depends on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes. Give your phone a minute or two to find these satellites before getting on the road.
- Adjust your time settings: Make sure the date, time, and timezone are correct on your device. To check this:
- Go to your device's Settings
- Tap 'General'
- Tap 'Date and Time'
- Change your Date and Time to 'Set Automatically'
- Always restart: When updating your software, app or settings, restart your device.
Causes of poor location tracking
There are three main issues that can lead to inaccurate location data:
- Incorrect phone settings
- Poor in-car phone placement
- Defective phones, (in rare cases)
In general, poor connectivity doesn't cause tracking problems. The app stores location points and sends them when network quality is better.
The first time you open the app, we'll prompt you to let Lyft access your location. This is required for you to give rides.
Here's what the notification looks like:
If you've already tapped 'Don’t Allow,' you must manually enable location tracking on your device.
To see your specific location tracking settings, follow the directions for your device. Manage location settings for apps using iOS instructions or Android instructions.